Scrum Master role - Entry level
London, Permanent Contract
We are looking for Scrum Master to join our UK team in London! You will have the opportunity to participate in a project led by a leading Investment Bank within Banking and Financial Services, employing over 200,000 people across 80 countries and 5 continents.
RISK is globally accountable for the definition of official risk policies, guidelines and procedures, as well as the quantification and monitoring of risks taken by the various business lines, to ensure alignment with risk appetite and policies.
Enterprise Risk Architecture (ERA) is a stream within RISK which aims at being a “one stop shop” for issues related to risk data/analysis, models/methodologies, stress-testing, market & counterparty risk systems, and ALMT & Liquidity risk within the Group. Within ERA, there is Risk Systems.
Within Risk Systems, the Risk Systems Development team is in charge of developing the IT application, software, interfaces and tools allowing the Risk practitioners to analyse and manage the market, counterparty and credit risks taken by the bank.
The IT development team is composed of 120 people based in London, Paris, Brussel, New York and Mumbai.
- Servant-leader. Not a team manager, but a team coach
- Owning the Scrum / Agile practices and processes agreed by the Scrum Team and is empowered to see that they are followed, but should be open to change and focus on facilitation wherever possible
- Doing everything possible to empower the Scrum Team to enable self-organisation
- Working to remove impediments when the team neither has the capacity or capability, but always with a view towards increasing self-organisation
- Facilitating work without coercion, assigning, or dictating how it is delivered
- Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and sharing information
- Supporting and educating the Product Owner, particularly with respect to refining and managing the product backlog
- Working with other Scrum Masters and Agile Coaches to guide the wider organisation on how to use Agile / Scrum practices and values, and to promote their use
- Running training sessions and workshops for Scrum teams and other staff
- Working closely with Delivery Managers to ensure complementary and consistent delivery approaches are being used
- Able to advice and help if needed on very light development
Essential Characteristics, Skills and Experience:
- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least two years
- Great with people: patient and tolerant; enjoys imparting knowledge and empowering people; can mix dealing with teams as a whole concurrently with bearing in mind the characteristics of individuals
- Knows when to encourage and when to push, depending on team culture and Agile maturity
- Pragmatism. No Scrum / Agile zealots. Chooses the best approach, whatever is appropriate, not necessarily their favourite option
- Exceptional relationship-building skills with people / other teams outside the Scrum Team
- Can constructively challenge current organisational or Scrum Team ways of working, whilst also knowing when to be patient and wait for the right time if not currently appropriate
- An understanding of the purpose of Agile / Scrum
- A good practical understanding of XP and Kanban, as a minimum
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills
- Hands on development skills (C#, Java)